Mercantile…Construction Services… Hardware Stores…
(Photo 1912, L-R: Perry Burns, Art McGill, Robert
Burns, Roger Hanson, Andrew Hanson)
Burns and Son One Price Store (1909-1922)
Several notes in the Issaquah Independent in
December of 1908 spoke of a new store coming
to Fall City… see inset. It does not seem to
have lasted long, since in 1909 Robert and
Mecie Burns bought the Snoqualmie Valley
Cooperative Store, to save the investment they
had made in the venture. The Cooperative
stood on the west half of the current building
site. They named it Burns & Son - The One
Price Store, shown above. The Son referred to Perry
Burns, and One Price meant no dickering on price. Robert
Burns, shown below, was a farmer at heart and didnít care
for dealing with the public.
The Snoqualmie Valley Farmers' Association recently erected and are now stocking a store at Fall City. The Association is made up entirely of ranchers each one of whom owns not less than a hundred dollar share in the enterprise. Its operations will undoubtedly result in strengthening its home city as a trading center and is in line with the steady growth of the fertile region in that vicinity.
(UW Special collections)
A short time after taking possession, a lean-to was added on the east side of the building to expand the line of general goods. When Chapman's Cash Store opened close by, he decided to close the store rather than modernize and compete with the three other stores currently in Fall City. In1922 Robert sold the building to son-in-law Jesse Kelley for Fall City Electric.
Several items in our collection commemorate the Burns and Son Store…including a 1916 calendar and several journals in which Robert Burns recorded sales, invoices, customer accounts and store expenses.
Return to Top
(Photo1940, WA State Archives)
J.E. Kelley Plumbing, Heating & Wiring (1922-1944)
About 1921, Puget Sound Power & Light began serving Fall City with electricity, and once the power lines appeared, there was a rush to get houses and businesses wired. Jesse Kelley had some experience with wiring during the years 1910 thru 1915 when he worked for Puget Power and the Harshman Telephone Company. In 1922, he quit his job in Pete Jorgensen's blacksmith shop and set out on his own after setting up a mini-shop in a corner of Kirkpatrick's Confectionary Store. By the fall of 1922, business was good and a shop was needed with a place to store supplies. Three blocks west on River Street, his father-in-law, Robert Burns, was going out of the general merchandise business with a store building for sale. They settled on a price and in October 1922, "Burns & Son, The One Price Store" became "Fall City Electric Shop".
Two years later, in 1924, the old Burns' Store building was torn down and a new shop was built to house the business. The Fall City Water Company was also formed that year and Kelley figured it was an opportunity to branch out into the plumbing business. In 1929, when widening of the Redmond-Fall City Road was being planned, the old shop was moved to the back of the lot and a new one built, with concrete walls, as shown in the photo above, to avoid risk of fire from the blacksmith shop located to the west. By 1925, Kelley's Shop was selected by the Fall City Water Company to install new water services and maintain the town's water system.
In 1927, Jesse and Artie Kelley
bought the two adjoining lots east of
the shop and built a home on the far
one, as shown in photo, in order to be
close to the business.
Return to Top
Photo 1951, showing Howard Stow with daughter Florence and grandson Gene.
Stow Hardware (1944-1954)
By 1944, Jesse and Artie Kelley were ready to retire. They sold Jesse's business and building to Artie's cousins, Howard and Clara Stow. As part of the deal, they "traded houses" so the Stows could be close to their business. The Kelleys moved to the Stow house on SE 44th Street.
Howard Stow converted the shop to a Hardware Store, the first in Fall City.
This undated photo shows the well-stocked interior of Stow Hardware, with Howard Stow behind the counter. After ten years in the hardware business, Howard accepted an offer of $25,000 from Jack McClymont to purchase the building and business.
Return to Top
1956 photo of McClymont Hardware, after expansion of building. (Wa State Archives)
McClymont Hardware (1954-1976)
Jack McClymont came to Fall City in 1942, and went to work for Puget Sound Power and Light. In 1954, he purchased the Stow Hardware business and building and renamed it McClymont Hardware. Jack built up the business and enlarged the building, adding the current east half of the building in 1956, to make it the largest hardware store in the Valley at that time. In Preserving the Stories of Fall City, pages 110-112, Jack McClymont shares many memories of his more than 20 years in the hardware business.
Fall City Hardware, no date.
Dave and second
wife Jo Schiesser at the store (Valley Record 1985)
Fall City Hardware (1976-1986)
In 1976, McClymont sold the building and business to Dave Schiesser, who re-opened it as a True Value franchise, renaming it "Fall City Hardware." Ten years later, Schiesser kept the building but sold the business to Jerry Mortensen, who in turn sold it to Bob Woods in 1992. Shortly thereafter, the hardware business closed and the building sat empty. Schiesser sold the building to Ian Macrae in 1993.
Over the years since then, it has housed law offices, a real estate agent, an antique store, a video store, and vintage sales outlets.
(Much of the material is excerpted from Jackís History of Fall City.)
Return to Top